Video Editor – New Naratif
Editorial Service, New Narative
Position: Video Editor (VE)
Business hours: full time, 40h/week
Salary offered: $1,100/month
Location: Online/digital in any of the eleven Southeast Asian countries
Pertaining to: Editorial Manager (EM); in the absence of an EM, the position reports to the Managing Director (MD)
Peers: Editors (within departments); Researchers, community team members, design team members (in all departments)
Part of: Editorial team
Qualifications: As a South East Asian candidate (preferred), the VE must have native level English ability (spoken and written) and preferably fluency in one or more South Asian languages -East. The VE should have at least 1-2 years experience in English language video editing and motion graphics work, preferably in video essay or similar formats.
Travel required: None
Type of Contract: Annual contracts issued from April 1 to March 31 (renewable annually, depending on performance and available funding)
The New Narative is a movement for democracy in Southeast Asia. We publish information, build communities and empower people to create positive change. Learn more about us newnaratif.com
While we publish news, New Naratif functions more as a hybrid of a creative storytelling studio, community organizer and mobilizer, and think tank, rather than a pure media operation.
New Naratif’s editorial department is responsible for all of the organization’s top-tier media and journalistic content. However, maintaining the quality of the content is not its only goal. Rather, the department should work with the departments of research, civic engagement, and community to ensure that all outcomes align to serve the primary purpose: to engage, educate, and empower South Asians. East.
As a Video Editor, you will work with the rest of the editorial team to produce video content for essays, explainers, talk shows (e.g. The show with PJ Thum), plus additional material for New Naratif’s community engagement, branding, and civic engagement. You will be responsible for the accessibility and quality of all video content, including researching, editing, refining and remixing the images and audio content of your video. Since much of our video content will involve event recordings as well as still images, you will need to be able to remix these different types of footage into a cohesive output. You will also work with other contributors, editors and translators for video content.
Additionally, much of New Naratif’s productions are structured around themes: every six months (possibly quarterly), we choose a new issue, theme, topic or event and focus our efforts on education and empowering people to create change around that issue or event.
Examples include Southeast Asian regional issues such as women’s rights, gender and LGBTQIA+ rights, labor migration and labor rights, forced migration, inclusion and civic participation, youth and political rights, transparency and accountability of electoral procedures, freedom of expression, freedom of assembly and association, land grabbing and land rights, on which New Naratif published in a recent past.
Our team comes together and determines what to focus on, what information people need to know to create change, who are the people on the ground we can engage, and what events/courses help bring our community together to build capacity for change. The whole process takes six months.
This position would suit someone with experience in editing journalistic articles and articles in different media formats. You must have a considerable understanding of the English language and its use in impact in journalistic contexts. You must have a strong awareness of structural oppression, social justice and sensitivity to language use in relation to marginalized groups in Southeast Asia.
what you gonna do
As a VE, your main objective is to ensure the quality and accessibility of New Naratif’s video content. Responsibilities include:
- Participate in New Naratif meetings as needed;
- Under the supervision of the Editorial Director, contribute to the development of an overall editorial strategy and implement the appropriate areas for video releases;
- Collaborate with the New Naratif team to produce, edit and publish video releases and additional video material that contributes to New Naratif theme campaigns, Sekolah Democracy, Democracy Classrooms and other events and campaigns as needed;
- Edit and refine all video output to a high standard that reflects New Naratif’s objectives and goals;
- Oversee the production of all New Naratif video releases, including the use, remixing and repurposing of image and audio content, production, research, commissioning, editing, communication with contributors, collaborating with other editors and departments, creating transcripts and closed captions, uploading and tagging video content, maintaining a database of contributors, updating the Trello board and other tasks if necessary;
- Document New Naratif workflow and editorial processes for video pieces;
- Work with the Community department to market and promote all media content;
- Comment and provide feedback on all New Naratif releases related to your area of expertise; and
- Contribute to the implementation of the New Naratif strategy within your country/region team.
What you won’t do
- You will not be expected to produce your own content on a regular basis. Your focus will be on working with existing content, collaborating with contributors, and developing presentations into published articles.
- You will not create or formulate a strategy. Instead, the editorial manager will define the strategy and you will help execute it.
- You will not work alone. This is a collaborative role with the rest of the editorial team.
What we are looking for
Strong candidates will have the following abilities:
Video editing skills. You are passionate about creating video content that is engaging, immersive and tells a compelling story. You watch numerous video and explainer essays on various topics and are able to identify specific styles of video storytelling that suit different audiences and purposes and can be adapted to different budget levels. You are sensitive to accessibility issues and will do your best to ensure that we meet the needs of people with disabilities, which includes avoiding unnecessary triggers, providing trigger warnings where appropriate, and working with d other editors for closed captions. You work well alone as well as with other members of a multimedia and editorial team to create collaborative multimedia pieces.
Tell us about your experience in video editing.
Team work. New Naratif does not have an office. We are all working remotely. We are all passionate and deeply principled. We aspire to a high level of moral values. We are here to model best practices as a transparent, ethical and progressive organization. We will ask you all this and hold you accountable.
Tell us about your online collaboration experience.
Empathy for the marginalized and voiceless in Southeast Asia. First and foremost, New Naratif is a platform for the people of Southeast Asia to imagine and then create a better Southeast Asia. You have to love and understand this region and its history, in all its complexity and diversity. You must be ready to learn, explore and grow alongside this region. This means that you must look beyond the boundaries and limitations that are currently imposed on us. We want your experience of living in a Southeast Asian country, your connectivity to communities, to hear about daily local experiences, concerns and challenges that are reflected in your work and the results you oversee.
What does Southeast Asia represent for you?
If you are up for the challenge of building capacity for change in Southeast Asia, please email jobs AT newnaratif.com with your CV, a cover letter answering the questions above and your portfolio . Please provide the names and contact information for two character referees.
Shortlisted candidates will have 2 to 3 interviews. We expect the process to take about a month. Following your appointment, you will undergo a trial period of three months.
Applications are reviewed on a rolling basis. Therefore, we encourage you to submit an application as soon as possible, as the process may end once we believe a sufficient number of applications are received or a suitable candidate has been found.
This is a mid-level position, which means you will be given clearly defined duties and responsibilities and will report to the Editorial Manager as the head of your department.
- You must be responsible, communicate and collaborate well online and be willing to work from home or your own location as long as you are digitally connected to your team and provide the necessary remote supervision and ensure the work schedule is fluid and uninterrupted.
- We mainly collaborate using WordPress, Google Workspace, Wire and Trello.
- 28 days of personal leave per year
- 12 days of statutory holidays per year (which can be taken on any statutory or religious holiday of your choosing), and
- 1 company-paid mental health therapy session per month.
The new Naratif contracts are governed by UK law, on an advisory basis, and are generally for one year, renewable at the end of each financial year (31 March).
New Naratif is a private, not-for-profit company, limited by guarantee, registered in the UK and Malaysia, and headquartered in Kuala Lumpur.
We are committed to creating an inclusive workplace for all employees, regardless of sexual orientation, gender identity, ethnicity or disability.
We have a strong preference for Southeast Asians who have personal experience and understand that they are marginalized and oppressed.