Video shows brawl on American Airlines flight over refusal to wear mask
- Video footage shows a scuffle between two American Airlines passengers aboard a plane preparing to take off from Las Vegas to Charlotte, North Carolina on Monday.
- The airline said a passenger ended up fighting with others after being asked to leave the plane for refusing to comply with the airline’s mask policy.
- American requires face coverings on its flights.
- Like other major airlines, it removed passengers who refused to comply without medical exemption.
- Visit the Business Insider homepage for more stories.
A brawl erupted on an American Airlines flight on Monday, with the airline saying it started after a passenger refused to wear a mask.
Footage of the incident – which took place before takeoff on a service from Las Vegas to Charlotte, North Carolina – was shared by a Twitter user named Caryn Ross.
It shows two women struggling in the aisles, at one point falling into a row of seats, while other passengers watched.
Ross shared the video with the comment “Too bad for social distancing!”
You can watch the images here:
—Caryn Ross (@SuperSassyMama) Aug 17, 2020
An American Airlines representative told Fox News that a passenger became disruptive after being asked to leave the plane for refusing to put on a mask.
“On Monday, a customer of American Airlines flight 1665 with service from Las Vegas to Charlotte failed to comply with our mandatory face coverage policy after boarding the aircraft prior to departure,” the representative said.
“In accordance with our policy, the customer was then asked to leave the plane and became a disruptor, resulting in an altercation with other passengers.”
Earlier reports indicated that combat could also be linked to the allocation of seats. Ross’s husband Jack Ross, credited with filming the footage she posted, told Storyful news agency it did, CTV News reported.
Due to the coronavirus pandemic, American Airlines requires face cover to wear on its planes, as do other US airlines.
Its policy says, “You are required to wear a face cover from the time you enter the airport where your trip begins until you leave the airport where your trip ends.”
Passengers with a medical reason not to wear a mask are exempt. Otherwise, the airline says it will refuse to fly them.
American has kidnapped other passengers flights so as not to wear a mask.